2020 Census Participant Statistical Areas Program (PSAP)
The 2020 Census Participant Statistical Areas Program (PSAP) allows local governments, following Census Bureau guidelines, to review and update the boundaries for Census tracts, Census block groups, Census Designated Places, and, where applicable, Census County Divisions for the 2020 Census. The updated statistical areas will be used by the Census Bureau to report data from the 2020 Decennial Census, American Community Survey, and, as appropriate, other censuses and surveys.
The Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is serving as the 2020 Census PSAP primary participant for the counties of Boone, Dallas, Jasper, Marion, Polk, Story and Warren in the region. The MPO will coordinate the edits to Census geography boundaries with input from local governments and entities and submit final boundary plans for each county to the Census Bureau in late spring 2019. The Census Bureau will review the edits and determine the final delineations to be validated in 2020.
To stay informed about the 2020 Census PSAP process, please contact the MPO staff 515-334-0075.
2020 PSAP Timeline
- March – May 2018: Contact 2010 Census PSAP participants to inquire about 2020 Census PSAP participation.
- July 2018: 2020 Census PSAP invitation materials sent to 2020 Census PSAP participants.
- November 2018: Final criteria for standard statistical areas published.
- January 2019: 2020 Census PSAP delineation phase begins. Participants have 120 calendar days to submit updates.
- January 2019: 2020 Census PSAP webinar trainings begin.
- July 2019: 2020 Census PSAP participants notified of delineation phase closeout.
- January 2020: 2020 Census PSAP verification phase begins. Participants have 90 calendar days to review updates.
PSAP Review Deadline:
June 7, 2019 – Deadline to submit recommendations for block groups, census tracts, and census designated places boundaries to the MPO.
To explore and review each of the 7 counties assigned to the MPO for review of existing and proposed Census Boundary delineations select from the following counties:
To access individual files by county, select from below:
- Census Bureau’s Participant Statistical Areas Program Website:
- Census Bureau Quick Reference Guides:
- Final Guidelines for PSAP Definition:
- PSAP 2020 Standard GUPS Webinar Presentation: