The Traffic Management Advisory Committee (TMAC) is a regional forum to discuss incident management, traffic management, and intelligent transportation systems.
TMAC meets from 10-11 AM on the first Wednesday of each quarter in-person at Polk County Emergency Management and virtually on Zoom. The meetings are open to the public.
TMAC 2023 Meeting Dates
March 1, 2023
- June 7, 2023
- September 6, 2023
- December 6, 2023
Prior Meeting Topics
- Best Practices
Identifying Unified Command / February 4, 2021 I-80 Incident After-Action Review
- Standardizing incident response practices and public education amidst COVID
- Removing stalled vehicles on Interstates quickly (law change)
Reducing speeding and fatalities/serious injuries / Iowa Fatalities Reduction Taskforce
- Effectiveness of implemented traffic safety measures
- Towing and Recovery
- Sending Pictures to Towers to Prepare the Appropriate Equipment
- Minimizing calls to multiple towers from the same person
- Researching the percentage of at-fault vehicle owners who are uninsured (government has to fund repairs)
- Communications and Cooperation
- Maintaining and strengthening communications and relationships among agencies
- Post-incident debriefings and encouraging multi-agency trainings, such as with towing
Best Practices Emergency Vehicle Warning Best Practices Distracted Driving and Countermeasures
- Metro-wide Training Handout (Services Book) on Available Training
Construction Construction within the MPO and Continued Construction Updates Workzone Safety Initiatives Information on Planned Safety Improvements on Major Roadways
Incident Response and Management (Discussed in July 2020 Meeting) Quick Clearance Better Local Agency Access to Traffic Cameras Sharing Resources for Incidents Lane Closure Management Across the Metro
Infrastructure and Technology
- Outdated Infrastructure
Connected Vehicles FirstNet Towing Towing Company Safety Towing Recovery Incentive Program (TRIP) Information and Sharing with Towing Companies
- Iowa Statewide Multi-Discipline Safety Team (MDST) Program
- More information on the Des Moines MDST is available at https://sites.google.com/view/iowaltapmdst/groups/des-moines-tmac?authuser=0.
- Iowa Traffic Fatality Reduction Taskforce
- For information on the Iowa Traffic Fatality Reduction Taskforce, visit https://zerofatalitiesiowa.com/taskforce.aspx.
Free National Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Responder Training
- National Highway Institute National TIM Responder Training Course Number 133126A
- ResponderSafety.com National TIM Training Certificate
If you have an interest in any traffic management related topics, would like to be added to the TMAC mailing list and receive meeting notifications, or have any questions about the group, please call or email Zhi Chen at 515-334-0075 or email@example.com.
Planning to attend a meeting?
Anyone planning to attend MPO meetings who may need auxiliary aids or services should call the Des Moines Area MPO office at 515-334-0075. Please call at least 48 hours in advance so that appropriate arrangements can be made.