The Des Moines Area MPO seeks to fill an Accountant position on its staff. An exempt, full time position, the Accountant will work under the general direction of the MPO’s Executive Director and Assistant Director, and in coordination with the MPO’s Office Manager, to perform a variety of accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting functions and related work. Duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Coordinating with the Assistant Director to assist in the preparation and administration of the annual operating budget
- Processing invoices and purchase orders
- Preparing bank statements and finance reports for monthly board meetings, annual financial audit, and other related activities
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual budget reports
- Preparing state and federal grant reports
- Maintaining the MPO’s financial accounting software.
- Maintaining accounting and bookkeeping systems for other organizations the MPO supports by contract
- Helping prepare applications for federal and state grant funds
Compensation and Benefits
The Accountant position has a starting salary range of between $65,000 and $75,000. The Des Moines Area MPO offers an excellent benefits package including the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Participation in the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS) and a 457(b) deferred compensation plan with employer match up to 5%;
- 10 days starting vacation, paid sick time, 11 paid holidays, and flexible work hours
- Free covered parking and a free transit pass
- Tuition assistance, professional membership dues, and registration/travel for professional conferences
Education, Experience, and Skills Desired
The ideal candidate will be a graduate of an Graduation from an accredited college or university with a four-year degree in accounting, finance or related field; and two years accounting experience. Governmental accounting experience preferred.
The candidate should be familiar with the principles and practices of government accounting and revenue management. The candidate should possess the ability to compile information and prepare reports. Government experience is desired, including an understanding of Iowa’s system of local, state, and regional government as well as knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and requirements governing the preparation of an annual budget for a public agency.
The candidate must be able to work as a team member, possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, handle a high volume of work in a busy and demanding environment, effectively prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously, and contribute to the success of those projects. Accuracy and timeliness in completing assignments is extremely important.
The candidate should have experience working with accounting programs like QuickBooks as well as Microsoft Office products.
The Des Moines Area MPO is a regional planning entity comprised of local communities and transportation agencies in the Des Moines, Iowa, metropolitan region. The Des Moines Area MPO provides a regional forum to ensure coordination between the public and local, state, and federal agencies in regard to planning issues, primarily transportation issues, and to prepare related plans and programs. The Des Moines Area MPO develops both long- and short-range multimodal transportation plans, selects and approves projects for federal funding based upon regional priorities, and develops methods to reduce traffic congestion. The Des Moines Area MPO administers other regional agencies by contract, including the Mid-Iowa Planning Alliance for Community Development, the Central Iowa Regional Transportation Planning Alliance, the Central Iowa Housing Trust Fund, and the Story County Housing Trust Fund.
How to Apply
Mail or email a cover letter, current resume and an application (available here) to:
Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
Attn: Dylan Mullenix, Assistant Director
420 Watson Powell Jr. Pkwy, Suite 200
Des Moines, IA 50309
The Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified disabled applicants who need a reasonable accommodation in order to take the examination/interview must inform this office before the interview date.
Applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen before beginning employment with the Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization.
The position is open until filled. Anticipated start date is early July 2022.