Data Bike Intern
The Des Moines Area MPO has an excellent temporary opportunity available for an energetic, skilled, dependable, self-motivated, and proactive Intern to join our team.
- Will begin May 2021 and end August 2021(possible extension to November depending on data collection needs);
- Will be for 40 hours per week, not to exceed 640 hours total;
- Will exclude working on the Memorial Day and the Independence Day holidays;
- Will be paid at a rate of $12.00-14.00 per hour; and
- Will offer a total internship compensation of no more than $7,680.
The primary role of the intern will be:
- Collect trail pavement data using the Iowa Data Bike (information regarding the data bike is located here)
- Assist with compiling and summarizing information for the Annual Data Bike Trails Condition Report
- Assist with data collection for the Active Transportation Plan Update (CONNECT Plan)
The intern may also be expected to:
- Enter data and prepare document text and graphics using word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software;
- possess excellent written and oral communication skills, as the MPO staff regularly communicates with our member governments and their staffs, as well as the many agencies and organizations involved in the MPO’s planning process;
- Can attend MPO, MPO Technical Committee, and MPO subcommittee, work group, and roundtable meetings;
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to produce maps using various data; and
- Do other tasks, as assigned, including researching, summarizing, and using data collected from various sources, including the Internet, to prepare work documents.
Intern applicants should:
- Have experience riding longer distances on a bicycle and are comfortable on trails as well as on street facilities such as bike lanes;
- Have access to a vehicle capable of transporting the data bike (preferred, not required);
- Have valid driver’s license (preferred, not required);
- Have completed at least one years of course work, pursuing a degree in urban, community and/or regional planning. Ideally candidates will have an emphasis in transportation planning, environmental planning, sustainability, or geographic information system (GIS);
- Have word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software knowledge;
- Have an interest, and preferably experience, with geographic information system (GIS);
- Be comfortable with learning and using new technologies and equipment, such as cameras;
- Be prepared to accomplish his/her work at the MPO’s office located in Des Moines, IA, including travelling to the office at his/her own expense;
- Expect to be working with computer applications for most of the workday;
- Can work both independently and as a productive and contributory member of the MPO team;
- Understand that this position requires durations of physical activity, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, and occasional lifting of the Data Bike and associated equipment;
- Have baseline knowledge and understanding of traffic laws relating to bicycle safety;
- Understand that this position requires sitting for most of the work period, with intermittent standing, bending, or carrying of light items such as papers and books;
- Understand that employment with the MPO is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug test;
- Understand that the MPO is a non-smoking, drug-free work environment; and,
- Understand that the MPO is a professional office where employees always adhere to a dress code and to a code of conduct, as outlined in the MPO’s Employee Handbook.
A PDF version of this announcement is available here.
If interested in this internship, please submit the following, via mail or email, to the address below (email is preferred):
- Complete online application by clicking here.
- A letter of interest explaining why the MPO should select you for the MPO’s Summer 2021 Internship;
- A current resume, including a valid email address and phone number; and,
- A current college transcript
Mail: Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
Attn: Zach Young
420 Watson Powell, Suite 200
Des Moines, IA 50309
The Planning Manager will evaluate the submitted internship applications to determine applicants deemed best qualified to interview for the MPO internship, and the MPO staff will contact, by email or phone, any applicant selected for an interview.
The Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified disabled applicants who need a reasonable accommodation in order to attend the interview must inform this office before the interview date.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled Date Released: April 14, 2021