Des Moines Metro Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory Library
In 2021, the Des Moines Area MPO joined ICLEI-USA as a regional affiliate. This membership allowed MPO staff access to a greenhouse gas accounting software – ClearPath. Throughout 2021, MPO staff worked with agencies within each emissions sector to collect and analyze energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. The following is the result of this effort.
If you have any questions about this initiative, please contact Allison van Pelt.
CO2e = Carbon Dioxide equivalence or emissions from multiple greenhouse gases expressed as one for clarity
MT = Metric Ton
– This reporting is for emissions in 2019. The lag is intentional due to 1) COVID impacts on human movements in 2020, and 2) confirmed data is more readily available for 2019.
– GHGIs are imperfect. In these figures, some categories may be colored grey, this shows the data was absent or omitted.
– It is difficult to grasp metric tons of a gas. If you would like to understand more about this topic, MPO staff suggests starting with MIT’s Climate Portal for details.
– As always, if you want more information and resources about climate action planning (adaptation, mitigation, GHGIs, Today’s Playbook…), check out our Central Iowa Climate Toolbox. The toolbox is always evolving – so, if you don’t find what you’re after – reach out to staff and we can help gather information and add it to the toolbox.
– Any of the images below can be expanded by clicking on them. 🙂
Des Moines, IA
Pleasant Hill, IA
Polk City, IA
West Des Moines, IA
Windsor Heights, IA
Many thanks to our partners in this initiative:
Des Moines Water Works
Iowa Department of Transportation
Metro Waste Authority
Waukee Public Works
MPO Member Communities